Catalogue Finding NumberWYC:1525/7/1/5/1/6
Office record is held atCalderdale, West Yorkshire Archive Service
TitleJournal page
DescriptionPage from the journal of Ann Walker, Jun 1834-Feb 1835

[Diary Transcription]

during the civil wars Cromwell made a stable of it for his dragoons, but after the Restoration it was repaired – The city of Canterbury was given entirely to the bishops by William Rufus. it was a city 900 years B.C.
Dunge hill or Danish Mount, a slip of land covering about 6 acres extending between Redingate & Wincheap is now converted into a promenade, the walk is shaded with limes on each side & is 13 feet wide & 1130 feet long – The terrace is 12 feet wide & 1840 long a serpentine walk boarded with quick thorn fences, & fenced by stone post & chains to the top of the mount, on which is a stone Pillar fronting the cardinal points, erected by a subscription of the inhabitants in 1803 – Ascent to the top 480 feet -
The Castle what is now so called has no appearance of Roman antiquity. the present building appears to have been the keep or dongon of a fortress within which it stood – & of which the boundaries are still discoverable, like that at the castles of Dover, Rochester, & the white Tower at London – as it is built in the same style with them, & about the same time. Dykes & yards contain about 4 acres the Castle had no doubt other buildings besides the keep it is now used as a repository by the Gas & water works Company –
The Shops appear very good particularly for Muslins – in which trade & silk – besides celebrated brawn the town excels – bought some oranges – & off for Dover at 2.5 oclock Eugenie sick – rained nearly all the way to Dover where arrived at 4.30 at Ship Inn taken by Mr. Worthington from C. Wright about 4 months ago – then bought all his stock Wines &c. – Mr. & Mrs. Worthington very civil people – heard from Mr. Birmingham that we must be ready for the Mail packet at 8 oclock tomorrow morning – wrote part of journal, played on Piano (Broadwood’s) & washed hands &c. for dinner, to which sat down at 6.15. Vermicelli soup – Maintenon Cutlets, plain boiled pudding – Claret, & strawberries. Remains of a Roman Encampment at Watling St. extending from Dover to West Chester.


dearest wrote to her Aunt message to Sarah to bottle Cowslip Wine & to my aunt that I would write to her from Paris – in bed at 10.20 oclock Up.

June 14th Up at 6 oclock breakfasted 20 to 8 off to embark 8.20 Mr. Birmingham came to the Ship Hotel for us – Went to the vessel in a boat sadly tossed by the waves it being nearly low water off from Dover 10 to 9. shut eyes then, & then never opened them till close upon Calais harbour, not sick, out of Ferret at 20 to 12 – Went with Monsieur Kelliac [Quillacq] to Custom House, had to walk all along pier which is very long. & then to the Hotel – had some Chablis & biscuits, went to sleep then walked in gallery dinner 3.40 Sole, Veal cutlets, tart, strawberries, & cherries – off at 5.12 beset at last Poste before getting to Boulogne by entreaties to go to various Hotels there, one man rode after us & put a card in at the window with request to go to Hotel du Nord – arrived at Hotel de Londres at 7.05 Had tea. Sleeping room out of apartment English beds in bed at 10.30 -

June 15th Up at 8.10 carriages taken up & wheeles [wheels] greased breakfasted 9.10 off at 10.15 Strawberries in carriage arrived at Abbeville. 7.05 Only one room for sleeping & eating – ordered dinner, walked out went into Church & on the boulevard – dinner at 8 – soup, pike, fricandeau, poulette, pigeon in Peas, apple, strawberries, cherries, almonds & biscuits for dessert – lay down in bed at 10.20 very bad head ache.

[June] 16th Up at 6.30 breakfast 15 to 9. Off at 15 to 10. Lord Yarmouth at Hotel de l’Europe – Strawberries at Poix – country very pretty about Marseille Chateau Count Monsieur de Clermont [word crossed out] Tonnerre another chateau a little further on. Chateau de Monson [Monceaux], discovered that we had lost silver fork – arrived at Beauvais – 15 to 7 – ordered dinner, walked out, thro’ the Grande Place, stopped at Confectioners, to Cathedral. The choir much admired, a number of small chapels, tomb of cardinal Fourbin [Forbin] par Coustou, restored in 1804 & three pieces of tapestry the manufacture of this town city. walked round the Court of the Bishop’s residence, who has only 10,000 francs or £400 sterling P[er] A[nnum] before revolution of Louis Phillipe he had 20,000 francs. dinner at 8.20 soup
DateJun 1834
Extent1 page


ReprodnRightsNoteCopyright in these images remains with West Yorkshire Archive Service. Any requests to re-use these images online or in print should be directed to West Yorkshire Archive Service for approval. Licensing or publication fees may apply.

This transcription, created by the research group In Search Of Ann Walker for the West Yorkshire Archive Service, has been created to allow keyword searching within our online catalogue. A full transcription (marked-up to show extended abbreviations) can be found as a pdf version at the volume level entry WYC:1525/7/1/5/1.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024