Catalogue Finding Number | WYHER/8599 |
Office record is held at | Historical Environment Record, West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service |
Held Outside WYAS | THE RECORD DESCRIBED IS HELD AND ADMINISTERED BY THE WEST YORKSHIRE HISTORIC ENVIRONMENT RECORD PLEASE CONTACT THEM ON 0113 535 0157 IF YOU WISH TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO VIEW THIS RECORD |
Title | T Pond at junction of walks approx. 350m southwest of Bramham Park house |
Description | This formal pond was probably built in 1728, perhaps by John Wood of Bath. It has a magnesian limestone surround to the cross of the T, and an earthen bank to the stem. The long stem or canal runs from the South Terrace of Bramham Park, joining a rectangular pond off centre and at an angle of about 60°. The item is an integral component of the formal gardens (PRN 3983) laid out in the French manner of Louis XIV and Le Notre. The stem is aligned with one of the intersecting straight avenues of this garden, the northern end of which frames a view of the house (PRN 8610). The southern end of the pond is in the Parish (and Township) of Barwick in Elmet. |
Date | 21st century |
Extent | contact the West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service for information on what is available |
Level | Item |