Catalogue Finding NumberWYB324
Office record is held atBradford, West Yorkshire Archive Service
DescriptionIncludes Jowett car club minutes, correspondence, Jowett car handbooks, maintenance guides, car magazines 1952-2007, magazine articles featuring Jowett cars 1914-2003, photographs of Jowett vehicles, photograph albums 1927-1930, club magazines and newsletters, and scrapbooks 1926-1957. NB - where applicable old V, T, B and JJ finding numbers used by the car club are in square brackets after the descriptions. WYAS7782 - Includes magazines, newsletters, scrapbooks, instruction manuals, technical notes and diagrams, sales booklets, car club correspondence, programmes for rallies and events, photographs [Box list only]
Extent1.1/55 boxes & 4 volumes
AdminHistoryThe Jowett Car Club was founded in 1923 as the Southern Jowett Car Club. It is the oldest one-make car clubs in the world. In May 1922 the Autocar magazine carried an advert calling on Jowett owners in the Bradford area to meet at Manningham Park gates (now Lister Park). In 1923 a club made up of London based Jowett owners was formed. Other clubs flourished in the 1920s and 1930s but during World War Two all clubs ceased with the exception of the Southern Jowett Car Club. This club continued to grow with the Midlands, Northern and Scotland sections appearing. In 1964 the word 'southern' was dropped from the club's name. The objects of the club include upholding the tradition and reputation of Jowett vehicles, promoting competitive events and social meetings and providing practical assistance to Jowett owners. Annual rallies are held at different venues each year and the club has members in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, South America, South Africa and Europe. See for more information. Jowett Cars - the first prototype Jowett car was built by Ben and William Jowett in 1906. Jowett production began in 1910 and 48 cars were built before the First World War. Production resumed in 1920 at a new factory in Idle. Jowett manufactured cars at Idle until production ended in 1954.



    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020