Catalogue Finding NumberWYL1540
Office record is held atLeeds, West Yorkshire Archive Service
TitleLEEDS ST JAMES UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL, RECORDS (WYL1540)
DescriptionIncluding records of Leeds Board of Guardians and Leeds Public Assistance Committee: registers of baptisms at Leeds Industrial Schools 1858-1936, register of deaths at Leeds Union Infirmary 1901-1913, register of staff at Beckett Street Institution 1922-1944; Leeds 'A' and 'B' Group Hospital Management Committees, financial records c1948-1974; St James Hospital staff records 1914-1947, Pathology Department records 1929-1988, House Committee minutes 1925-1948; Leeds Public Dispensary minutes 1825-1948; Leeds Herzl Moser Jewish Hospital board of management minutes 1922-1948.

[WYAS7384] Chancellor Wing St James Hospital Paediatrics admission registers for High Dependency Unit, includes unit number, date of birth, name, address, admission date, reason for admission, outcome of stay, length of stay, discharge date, 2000-2006 [6 volumes]. Chancellor Wing St James Hospital admission register for High Dependency Unit, includes unit number, date of birth, name, address, admission date, admitting consultant, source of admission, reason, length of stay, discharge date and to where the patient was discharged, 1988-2000 [13 volumes]. Chancellor Wing St James Hospital High Dependency Unit Nursing Information book, includes name, consultant, diagnosis, investigations, nursing instructions, 1995-2007 [66 volumes].

[WYAS8093] University of Leeds, Department of Paediatrics, Registers of Admissions for St James's Hospital, 1946-1966 [6 volumes].

[WYAS8260] St James's University Hospital, ward register 2011-2014 containing date of admission, name, address and date of birth of patient, NHS number, next of kin contact details, consultant initials, mode of admission, bed number, diagnosis and treatment, date of discharge and result [1 volume]; office diary 2014 containing admissions and discharges and office notes between staff [1 volume].
Date1858-2007
Extent0.46
LevelCollection
Access ConditionsSome records under 100 years old are subject to legal restrictions on access. You will be informed of any restrictions which apply when you contact Leeds Archives. For further information please see the West Yorkshire Archive Service Policy on Access to Records, which is available on our web site
AdminHistoryThese records were received from St James's University Hospital in December 1990 and relate to that hospital and other institutions associated with the antecedents of the Leeds Eastern Health Authority.

The Leeds Board of Guardians established a Moral and Industrial Training School in Beckett Street in 1848 and in 1861 opened a new workhouse and infirmary on an adjacent site. In 1876 a Hospital Management Committee was set up to administer the infirmary separately from the workhouse. In 1925 the various Boards of Guardians in the City of Leeds were amalgamated into one Board, the Leeds Union Infirmary in Beckett Street was renamed as St James's Hospital and the adjacent Poor Law Institution became known as North Lodge. At the same time the former Holbeck Workhouse was renamed as South Lodge.

In 1930 the Leeds City Council Public Assistance Committee took over both the hospital and the poor law institutions from the Board of Guardians but the hospital was transferred to the Health Committee in 1934. In 1944 the hospital took over the former workhouse buildings at St James's Hospital (North), a medical faculty was established in 1945 and in 1948 it was placed under the Leeds 'A' Group Hospital Management Committee. This Committee also administered St Mary's, Cookridge, Herzl Moser and Chapel Allerton Hospitals and the Leeds Public Dispensary.
Related MaterialA register of deaths 1879-1901 and 36 registers of death covering 1913-1982 are held at the Thackray Museum. The Thackray Museum also holds admission registers 1947-1967.
SubjectHOSPITALS
POOR LAW UNIONS
REGISTERS
JEWS
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021